Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ramadan Day 7

Today two of my siblings, my son and myself went to an Islamic community center, so that DS starts Weekend School, where he learns Arabic, Quran, and Islamic studies. Since it is only one day a week, DS will defintely need re-enforcements at home so that his knowledge may be strengthened in those subjects.

I registered DS at the school and then walked him to his class. Many people greeted me as I walked down the hallways. These are people I haven't seen in a year or so, yet they always welcomed me with open arms and smiles. (Just in case you are wondering it has been a year or so since I showed up at an Islamic community center it is because "Life" gets in the way. No seriously, work and other obligations. It is also a 30 minute drive from my home). Now that DS is a student of the weekend school, I will definately make appearances, and perhaps get involved as well.

Normally, weekend school starts at 10 a.m., but because it is Ramadan, the board moved it to 4 p.m.- 7 p.m., so that when the students are done, everyone, including adults, could break their fast in the gym/cafeteria. Families had already signed up to cook that evening. I have been told that Community fasts are available Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday evenings. How awesome is that! Since my siblings came with me to the community center, we didn't stay to eat at the center because we had made plans to eat with my parents again. Hopefully, DH will be willing to go on the weekend with DS and I. See, if you are wondering what happened to DH, he has been out of town for the last few days visiting his sister and her family. He is to arrive tomorrow night. DS and I cannot wait to see him!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Allah yatik al afia. May God reward you. I forget how hard it was in the states to always connect to an Islamic community in some parts of the states. We used to have drive a long distance in Long Island when we lived there. California had a larger population and more mosques to choose from. May Allah reward you for making the effort. Ramadan Mubarak.

FA said...

Allah 3feekee. It is actually not too hard in places like Chicago, Dearborn, certain areas in New York, New Jersey and California.

The cool thing is that I went to the same Weekend School, my son is attending now! I love it.

May Allah reward you and your family as well.

Ramadan Mubarak to you too. :)