Wednesday, January 30, 2008

All the News that's Fit to Print...

Sometimes you know you want to post something, but you have too many random ideas to come up with a cohesive blog post. Really great bloggers write these ideas down, develop them into posts, and save them up for times when they'll be unable to work for some reason. Other bloggers (ahem) just make a nice list of random, disjointed facts.

Random, disjointed facts:

1. Did you know you're supposed to use a relevant title for blog posts so the search engines can figure out what the heck you're blogging about?

2. Here's a happy fact for ya: Sometimes editors and others who want you to write for them Google your name. I know! Intimidating, right? It's like public speaking, but you can't picture them in their underwear when you don't even know who they are!

3. My laptop cord broke. Then my replacement laptop cord broke. If I can ever force myself to wait on hold for an hour, I will try to get my money back. But I don't know if they will reimburse my overnight shipping expenses. Somehow I doubt it.

4. Fact number 3 makes me want to cry. But I won't. Instead I will try to drum up some righteous indignation for that phone call. Their hold music and repeated, recorded attempts to assure me that they are committed to customer satisfaction will help immensely.

5. I took a break from writing about overcoming procrastination to post this.

6. Fact number 5 is the dirty little secret no one ever tells you about writers. (Hint: They don't always take their own advice.) Oops. I wonder if I was supposed to let the cat out of the bag?

7. "Let the cat out of the bag" is a cliche. (a) You should avoid them in good writing. (b) Using them in blog posts, however, is perfectly acceptable!

8. Fact number 7(b) is a matter of opinion and therefore not really a fact.

9. It isn't always easy to come up with relevant blog post titles - nor relevant blog posts, for that matter. And that, my friends, is a fact.

10. Fact: 10 points in a list is really better than 9.

1 comment: