Friday, August 17, 2007

This is the life of a writing mother...

I came up with this - may I say, brilliant - idea this morning while I rattled around the empty house, getting more laundry done than should be legal, and amazingly writing sentences that turned into whole paragraphs, paragraphs that became the rough outline of an article that isn't due until next week. I had a telephone interview, and I didn't even have to deal with the guilt of parking my dd in front of the T.V.

Today was the 2nd day of my full-time freelance writing "career." (Can you call it a career when it's only been two days?) My dd started 1st grade yesterday, and since she's in a great school, and we know the bus driver, met the teacher, bought the very fashionable school clothes, I was Not. A. Nervous. Wreck. (And I feel very guilty about that. Not.)

Anyway during a break from all this, in a blissful state of inspiration, I decided I need a blog. But blogging alone is kind of - well, lonely - so I posted the idea on The Writing Mother that we should get together to do a group blog!

Now, I should tell you that I'm a wealth of ideas. But the WM group is full of doers, not just thinkers. By 3-ish, we were already discussing ideas. By 4-ish, Heather had this site up.

But in the midst of all that, at 3:36 p.m., I got a call from the new owner of a GREAT local parenting publication, asking me to consider working for them as a writer and in sales. By 4 p.m., I was off the phone and calling my husband. At 4:26, I found Heather's email, asking me to do a test post (this is it), and a few other emails I needed to answer right away. At 4:32 exactly, my dd's bus came and I was

not

there

to meet her! (Ah, there's the guilt - I wondered where it had gone, lol.)

Some other kid's babysitter walked her across the street. When she came in the house, I was still riding a wave of excitement about my own great news, and it took all the motherliness in me to remember to ask dd about her day!

And thus ended the day of productivity and solitude. It was one (happy) thing after another from that point on. Helping dd find some glue so she could finish her craft, reading the papers sent home from the school, ordering the pizza, greeting dh and dss who were home from work, watering the poor hot tomatoes... I'm sure you know how it goes. Busy, busy, busy!

After supper I tried to sneak away to write this blog post, but dd caught me. "Mom, aren't you going to watch the movie?"

"Sure, honey. I just have to do this one thing," I said, hoisting my laptop into my lap.

"You could bring your computer downstairs and be with us, Mom." (Aww. She loves me! Isn't it great to be wanted?)

So that's where I am right now. Typing in a darkened room while the movie Cars is blasting in full surround sound, teaching us a valuable lesson about working together as a team, and about appreciating those who help you get to where you want to be.

Hmm. Seems appropriate.

Hey, Writing Mothers - I appreciate you!

:)

How's that for a test post? With this movie blasting, I can't hear myself think, so I'll have to read it later to see if it makes any sense!

1 comment:

Kai said...

Its a great test post - :)
Your daughter will always think you are a wonderful mother - she might not always say it, but sooner or later, once we get passed the teenage angst (wasn't that long ago that I was there) we realize how incredible our mothers actually are.