Friday, August 17, 2007

Cherish the Moments

Cherish all your happy moments: they make a fine cushion for old age.
-- Christopher Morley

A lot of writing moms ask "how do you write anything with kids at home?"

I tell them that I can only tell them how *I* write, not how they can do it. I'm a night owl. I get a lot of writing done at the end of the day, when the only noise is the sound of the baby moniter.

During the day I take a lot of time out to play with my kids. I do my chores, I putter about, I clean, I do laundry... and I try to take a lot of time to cherish my kids.

Already my six year old would rather go and play outside than spend a minute inside. He's got so many friends in our new neighborhood that his social calendar is booked solid I think. My daughter is just learning to walk, so she is a handful.

It can be hard being a writing mother, always trying to eek out moments of quiet time at the computer.

Several years ago, my son was probably a year old at the time, my best friend had a son who died very suddenly of an undiagnosed heart condition. He was eight months old. That little boy changed me as a parent. I knew from that moment that I could not take a single moment for granted. And I try not to. I try to look on the positive side, even when my kids are making me pull my hair out and I want to crawl under the covers, I try to stop and think "there are mothers who wish for my problems".

And the added bonus is that I feel less guilt during the day. The fewer the number of times I need to say "just a second, mommy's working on something" the better I feel.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Heather, this is a great reminder.

I do (did) a lot of writing at night. And I peek into my daughter's room while she's sleeping. Somehow, that always helps me get some perspective.

I think about how her body is growing while she sleeps. And it reminds me to treasure NOW, while she's still little enough to see me as the "best mom in the whole world."

Someday she might realize I'm not; but by that time, I hope we will have had enough of those cherished moments together that she won't hold that against me. :)

Carolyn E.

Kai said...

this is a great reminder of balancing family with work - it gets easier while they're older, but I was like you when my kids were little - and for the longest time I only slept three or four hours a day - I get more sleep now (just) and I can even go off and work during the day while the kids are playing with their video games, or hanging out in our office/dining room :)