Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ramadan Day 25

Today, I answered a phone call from my uncle who lives in Ramallah,Palestine/Israel. Depending on who you are and what you believe, Ramallah belongs to Palestine and to others Ramallah belongs to Israel. (There is my teaching lesson for the day).

We were comparing notes about fasting in USA and in Ramallah. Depending on what part of the U.S. a fasting Muslim resides, is based off the sunset. I live in the MidWest. We currently break our fast at 6:40ish. My uncle said they eat about 5:40ish. The Middle East is 7 or 8 hours ahead of Central Time. My uncle thinks it is neat that the mosques and community centers offer "Iftar" meals to the community to break their fast. I believe it is not as common in the Ramallah area.

He also informed me that last day of Ramadan is Monday or Tuesday. Scholars will determine using the lunar calendar as the days get closer.

No comments: