Thursday, December 13, 2007

Is your productivity linked to your tools?

I used to think, and still, kinda do, that my laptop was the ultimate in productivity. The only thing I couldn't do was work whilst at the school, waiting for the kids.
That was, until I started university. And the laptop died. And the DESKTOP exploded. No joke, my desktop went *BANG* about a month ago. So we bought a new, vista installed desktop. And at the same time, I went for my disability assessment, cause the University referred me (my university ROCKS!), and eventually discovered I was getting a whole RAFT of tools that will tighten up my study skills.
So it all arrived this morning.

I didn't open my laptop first - I opened my dictaphone.
Y'see, I'm firmly of the belief that if something is working for you, augment it. I work well as a multi tasker. I can write and talk at the same time - I don't THINK I can write one story, and dictate another story, but I think I can write, pause when something else occurs to me and then go back to writing what I was working on.
Whether this rather wacky plan increases my productivity, or leaves me with more ideas than I know what to do with, which actually, is an improvement on coming up with snippets then losing them in the avalanche of the rest of the day, or whether I just run round in circles.
I am curious however, have you done anything recently to increase your productivity? Has changing the machine you work on increased your productivity, or has it left you the same, or worse off?

1 comment:

Carolyn Erickson said...

My digital voice recorder has been a mixed blessing. I love that I can record my telephone interviews (and also use it as an "idea catcher" like your dictaphone), but I've found that it takes longer to get quotes into an article.

The software that comes with the recorder does allow me to playback and pause to do transcribing, but I have to position the windows (my recorder software and word processor) side by side and switch back and forth to stop and start.

I still type notes while I interview, but if I miss a note, I don't have to ask the person repeat it. But on the other hand, I've been typing less and having to playback the audio to get the quotes I need.

So, on the one hand, less possibility of misquoting someone; on the other hand, a more cumbersome process.

I probably just need a better tool. ;)