Friday, October 5, 2007

Day 23 of Ramadan

Wow. There is about six to seven days left of Ramadan. Relatives and friends always ask each other how has been fasting with you. It is common to hear many Muslims to say that Ramadan has been "light"--meaning it was a piece of cake.

This morning my brother calls me, telling me that he vomited when he woke up. Does that make his fast invalid? He was on his way to attend classes, so he was in a hurry for response. I asked my DH who was half asleep, and he said that if my brother doesn't feel good or his throat hurts, then he should break it. That is what I had said to my brother before I asked my half-asleep DH. I just wanted to verify.

Turns out my brother had a big time sore throat--looks like a chest cold or something like that. So my brother broke his fast. I explained to him that if a person is sick or doesn't feel well, he or she may break it because God doesn't want you to tire easily or more. I reminded him that Islam is an easy religion. God doesn't make it mandatory for a person who is sick or doesn't feel well to fast.

However, if a person missed or broke his or fast before the appropriate timing, then it is required that the person makes up other missed days of fasting. Since my brother missed one day, he will have to make up that day after Ramadan is over.

Although my brother didn't fast today, he did not eat or drink in front of the rest of the family. He did that privately in his room out of respect for us.

Today, my father and I discussed some of the Surahs (Chapters) of the Qur'an. We were discussing interpretations of verses and what kind of meanings they have. Assuming you are familiar with the Arabic language, listening to the Qur'an is a relaxing task and activity. There is something about the Arabic language. For those that don't know, the Qur'an is only read in Arabic when praying or lecturing.

The Arabic language is so elegant and poetic, that Arabs use to stop wars between each other and have poetry festivals. Enemies would be friends during the festivities. After poetry festivals were over, friends would become enemies once again.

History, itself is a fascinating subject that documents life. If we study our history, chances we would understand today much better.

1 comment:

Humanist said...

Thanks for giving us another view on Ramadan. It is important for people to see that fasting is a normal part of many lives, and that lives don't stop when fasting comes.