Thursday, September 20, 2007

Days Eight and Seven

Today, I was actually a little hungry because I did not have a "super early, I mean early" breakfast. The feeling of hunger soon passed, but once again, what was on my mind was a nice, cold glass of water. It seemed when I announced I was thirsty for a nice, cold glass of water to my family, that eased my thirst a bit. I am wondering if it is a bit psychological? I am not sure. But I actually felt a bit less thirsty. Funny, I know.

This evening, my son had story time at the library. It started at 6:15 p.m., and ended at 7 p.m. As my son and I left the library, my brother calls me and asks if I was going to join them for dinner. I told him that I was on my way. My family waited till I joined them before they broke their fast (I was about 10 minutes late). Some of them did even break their fast until I got there. I broke mine at the library by drinking water.

I told my family next time to start eating--I'll join them when I get there. My mom (don't you just love mothers? It is a true honor to be one.) said it is not the same, knowing that I was on my way. To her a few minutes of waiting was not a big deal. I love my mom.

I honestly feel my mind and body cleansing from chemicals and other gunk that we put in everyday. You adapt somewhat as you get used to fasting.


Day Seven
Something interesting, when I am outside my home, sometimes I feel my neighbors, and strangers are fasting with me. Then I have to remind myself, chances are they are not fasting.

Tonight was the first time I would break my fast during my teaching. Before class started, students started arriving a bit early.

One of my students was eating the biggest, greenest apple I have ever seen. I almost told her, "What are you doing? You're fasting!" I then remembered some don't fast. I smiled to myself because those are common thoughts.

I taught class. We discussed the chapters in Earth in Mind by David Orr. After that, I lectured on Plato and how he connects with education. Students made school brochures (they had fun) based off of Plato's theories. I just happened to glance at the clock, when I realized it was time to break my fast. I walked over to my desk as students worked on school brochures and drank some water. I didn't eat in class.

After class was over, I drove to my parents' home to eat dinner and pick up my son.

Sometimes fasters will say, "When I break my fast, I am going to eat 'this' and 'that' all night." It never happens. After you eat your regular (sometimes it becomes smaller), you are satisfied.

2 comments:

Carolyn Erickson said...

Faten, do you teach a college course? Maybe you've said before, but I couldn't remember. Do you teach philosophy?

FA said...

I teach an education course. I love it because I throw all kinds of questions to my students.