Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ramadan Days 16-17

Day 16

I have been reflecting on how quickly the days of Ramadan have gone by. Yes, I couldn't drink or eat during the day, but I didn't feel like it was a burden because I know the physical and spiritual benefits of Ramadan. For example, I continue to workout while I am fasting. Some of the health club members cheer me on for living life as normal as possible while I fast.

Fasting disciplines the mind, body and soul. It is all how you are going to handle fasting. Either you accept it or you struggle against it. I have chosen to accept it.

Fasting during Ramadan is not required for everyone. Women who are pregnant, nursing or menstruating are not required to fast. Children who are not of puberty age are not required to fast. The same applies to those who take medication and the elderly. I do have some family members who do not fast. It is because they have medical conditions that require them to take medications with food during the day.

Day 17
People are in a good mood, at least that is what I observed with my family and Muslim friends who are fasting. They appear to be in a relaxed state. They are a lot calmer because you also have to work on your personality as well. Although backstabbing, cheating and lying shouldn't be allowed at all, it shouldn't be allowed especially during the month of Ramadan. You have to try to improve your behavior as well. By cheating or lying, a fast could become broken.

I want to also point out that the behavior that we portray during the month of Ramadan is expected to be shown throughout the year. The way I see it, Ramadan is the month to practice, to turn an action into a positive habit. It is kind of like Christmas. Imagine the world being nice only during Christmas. What kind of world would we live in? Not a very kind one. (I know some might say it is not kind now).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work. May Allah strengthen our hearts and continue our good works the rest of the year as well.

FA said...

Amen.