Friday, May 23, 2008

New for old

Mediterranean springImage from FlickrAfter getting my university grades back for the year (I got a 2:1! *that's a B) - I decided to get on with cleaning out some of my business and writing.
Its been hard work knowing where to let go - and where to keep - harder still to buckle down and set up the last of the work that I need to justify keeping them - but I think, sometimes its important to clean out the things that are holdig us back - whether it's a declutter from our professional life - or your private life.

A couple of tips to make it easier though:
Be as detached as possible - you're not looking at long term unless 'long term' is something you're working towards - so if you've got a project on the long term that's stuck in a rut, and you're not sure whether you can revive it, it might be a good time to let it go. I'm not saying 'give in' completely - but sometimes you need to take a step back and look at what you're doing and where you're going.
And how best to get there.

Once you've worked out your goals, your needs - your wants - your DREAMS - be merciless! Get rid of everything you no longer need to accomplish your focus. Trust me - you'll feel better for it.
Decluttering your professional life could be as simple as taking only certain types of clients - changing your contracts to protect your rights as a provider - it could be finishing off that book that is gathering digital dust.
It can be a bit harder in your private life -but its important to prioritise and ensure you've got time - space - breathing room to fully enjoy your life. Even if that means saying 'I can't' occassionally.
Starting with something as simple as decluttering your email can make a huge impact on your life - give it a try!

1 comment:

RedWritingHood said...

It must be that time of year! I just decluttered my inbox yesterday. I knew I had things in there to deal with, I was just too busy to get to it... but it was driving me batty!

I also cleaned my desk this morning. Full steam ahead!