Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So, enough about you...


The word "meme" means something, but when I see it, I always think of "Me, Me."

And since I was tagged by Amy at MindoverMullis to tell seven things about myself, I think it fits.

But it seems a little self-indulgent just to talk about myself, doesn't it? So instead I'm just going to tell you seven things. A mixture of mom-advice and deep philosophical thought. (After all, I'm a writer and I'm a mom and that's what we do.) So here goes. Seven things:

1. Wash your hands. The correct amount of time to spend scrubbing is long enough to sing "Happy Birthday" two times through. A nice side-effect (besides clean hands) is that you feel like it's your birthday. Not bad.

2. LOVE is not a feeling. It is an act of will. Not mushy and sentimental enough for you? Just think back on the people who loved you when you were awful, and you'll get to feeling warm and fuzzy in no time. And there is a warm kind of fuzzy kind of thing that comes along after you make the decision to love. Deciding to love selflessly is really cool, heroic, and well worth the effort.

3. I have a written contract with God, and it's certainly better than anything I've gotten from editors. I get rewarded for eternity and I get to keep all rights to my work. I'm feeling pretty good about signing this one.

4. Picking up your room is not punishment, nor is it a chore designed to make you a better person. It is simply a method of ensuring that you'll be able to find both purple socks on the same day your outfit requires them.

5. The Borg had it wrong. The only time resistance is futile is when you're trying to maintain some semblance of modesty in the hospital delivery room. Otherwise, fight like crazy if you have to. Resist!

6. "Refrigerate after opening" is not a suggestion. Neither is "use before March 13, 2008."

7. A kiss on the forehead is a reliable method for diagnosing a fever, but it does take practice, so give lots of forehead kisses. It's the most fun part of having a sick kid. :) Probably the only fun part. Also, take advantage of the fact that your kid is too sick to run away and give 'em lots of squeezes while you're at it. Don't worry about a little bit of snot. It washes.

Thanks for listening. Tagging the other Mamas at Mama Needs a Book Contract.

3 comments:

Amy Mullis said...

Ow! Ow! You made me think! And you made me like it. And you made me laugh. Ow! Ow! (Uncle Bob wrote this column, I can tell.)

P.S. Ooh, if my head shot looked like that, that's the only picture I'd use. Perky. . .but with brains. That's a good look. Maybe I'll borrow it. The picture, I mean.

Carolyn Erickson said...

LOL, Amy. You're too funny!

Kai said...

LOL...your 'expiration date' one reminds me of the 'Warning' video by Greenday - which still makes me wince.

Great list.