Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Favorite Crack-a-lakin Writin': I now command you...

I have a 'real life' job in sales. Yes, me, I'm a salesperson. I sell stuff to people and I kind of sort of like it... most of the time. I'm also a Team Leader. I help other salespeople learn to sell and I guide them through our company's various departments and resources...

And while I do this... it feeds that little inner beastie of mine. That little controlling beastie that loves to TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO. (and where to go and how to get there, but that's another post for another time.)

At work there isn't much writing to do. Or rather, there wasn't until I created some writing ...

Now technically, I get paid to do my job. But my job doesn't really include writing. I could spend all day, all week, all month selling and have to do very little writing outside of communicating with customers.

But not me. Because I like to write and I like to tell people what to do. On a higher level, I like to organize my world through writing.

So I wrote the 'bible' of our department.

I wrote a training schedule.

I wrote a training guide.

I write sales letters every week.

I wrote the job description for my employees.

I wrote my own job description when they were creating the job I was promoted in to.

I write update and directives and instructions. If someone needs to know how to do something, I write the ten step guide to that task... my department has gone from almost no documentation to having everything documented.

I volunteer to proofread our company purchasing guide.

I create marketing material and pitch it to my boss.

The great thing is... all of this writing will still fit on my writer resume. It's all writing that I could go and get paid to do, but I do it at work as a 'side job'.

The benefits are many. Like the email my boss cc'd me on today where he sort of bragged that I was a "professional writer". Or the confidence I feel when I start to proofread something because I'm used to doing it. Or the ease with which I can rattle off a sales letter that my employees love to send out.

So even though they don't pay me to do it... I love it.

1 comment:

Carolyn Erickson said...

I hope they're paying you to do it, because you're right - writers get paid to write those kinds of things (and paid very well, usually).

If you're doing it on company time, you are getting paid for it.

Thanks for sharing your favorite kind of writing with us. (Now I understand you a LOT better... ma'am... LOL)

C.