Friday, September 14, 2007

Days Two and One of Ramadan

I decided to combine days one and two of Ramadan because--oh just continue reading, and you will find out why.

Day Two

Today was a much better day of fasting. Everyone was in a better mood. No grumpy family members to put a damper on the atmosphere. If you have never been around anyone fasting, some become grumpy due to lack of caffeine, nicotine, or just can't tolerate hunger. Eventually, those "grumpers" will adjust.

I still have my allergies, but I continued to fast on day two (because I am persistent, some would call me "stubborn"). Today was an easy going day. No one was in a grumpy mood, thank God. At times when I saw my ds eating lunch, I was thinking, "mmm...that looks good." Then I would remember, I was fasting. That is normal by the way. Many get caught up with their activities, if they decide to take break they may actually drink or eat something, then remember they are fasting.

At 4:30 p.m., my dh took my ds to the park, so that I could complete some errands (grocery shop). I left to the stores at 5 p.m. (I snuck in 30 minutes for myself--shhh don't tell anyone). I went to Aldi's bought salmon, potatoes, and some other few items. Then I went to Walmart, and bought a few more things. I was home by 5:40 p.m. I know what you are thinking, what fast shopper. I am one of the few females on earth that hate to linger in a store. I like to buy what I need and leave. At 6 p.m., I started dinner by putting the salmon in the oven. Then I baked potatoes, made rice, and prepared the soup. By the time dinner was almost prepared, my dh and ds came back from the park.

My dh and ds set the table and started helping bring the food to the table. At 7:10 p.m., my dh and myself broke the fast with a small prayer, sort of like saying grace. My ds is too young to fast. He is only four years old. We are teaching him about Ramadan and fasting, etc. He is so excited for Eid (our three day celebration after Ramadan is over. Eid is pronounced Eed). He keeps asking if today is Eid. I tell him not yet. (I wish I left that part out until we actually got closer to Eid.)

I drank my liquids. Boy, did that feel good. However, that was a mistake I made. I should have taken sips, not gulps because that made me more full. What I should have done was take sips, and put myself a plate and eat something. It is healthier for you. But because of my allergies, to me the drinking was more important.

You actually think when it is time to eat, I am going to eat everything. But when the time actually comes, you eat as usual, or even less.

So tonight, I am going to have a small breakfast at a much earlier time. If you live in North America, you might even be sleeping while I have my much early, early breakfast.

Stay tuned to Day Three.

Day One

I was in good mood, until some of my family members were GRUMPY, so grumpy that I was basically forced to be in a bad mood for the rest of the night. That is how some fasters become, grumpy because they cannot have their caffeine or nicotine, or just can't tolerate hunger. However as the days of Ramadan continue, the "grumpers" become in a better mood. It just takes time for them to adjust mentally, and some physically. Others, like myself, become a little hyper and happy.

As long as I keep myself busy, I am fine. I won't think about food, sometimes I think about drinking liquids. I like my liquids. No, I am not talking about alcohol. That is forbidden in Islam. I like to be active during Ramadan, you know continue my daily routines. I am not a big believer in slowing things down just because I am fasting (I mean I will slow down on certain circumstances, like being in an air conditioned room on a hot day. You won't find me working outside in the yard or garden).

To make a long story short, my dh and ds returned to our apartment, and broke our fast there. Since it unplanned, I had to grab whatever was in the freezer and pantry. We had shrimp, nachos with salsa, soup (always recommended during this month), and apple juice. That is what I call an impromptu dinner.

I ended up having headache from being in a bad mood, and having allergies with it. Agh. I couldn't even post last night. I told myself, "the next day you have to post, even if it kills ya."


Serenity Now! said...

I don't think I could go shopping while fasting!

FA said...

Let me just say, I did buy a couple of extra items that we could have lived with out. *smiling* It just looked goooooooood, I explained to my husband.